There is no need for patients to contact the surgery for test results. When blood tests or other tests are requested as part of your treatment, we will contact you if any follow up action is necessary. For this reason , please make sure we have current contact details on record. Please allow at least a week for results to get to us and for a GP to review them.
If you do phone for a result of a test, we would like you to do this after 12 noon. This allows time for the incoming results and letters for that day to be scanned into your records and then checked by your doctor. The reception staff should also have more time to deal with your request at these relatively quieter times.
Some test results take longer than a week to come or are sent directly to the patient. These are:
- X-Ray: Usually 10-20 days to be sent back to your GP
- Ultrasound and MRI scans: Advised by radiographer
- Smear test: 14 days approx. By post directly to patient
- Mammogram: Up to 6 weeks. By post directly to patient
- Retinal screening: 2-4 weeks. By post directly to patient
- Hospital tests: Results go back to the consultant who decides whether to write directly to the patient, wait to discuss at their next clinic appointment, or sometimes to send the result to the surgery for information. To follow up tests done in the hospital, it is always best to contact the consultant's secretary in the first instance.
Please note that most of the results of the tests requested by your doctor can be viewed using the online service.